When I went camping as a kid, our days consisted of sleeping, eating, building campfires, fishing and shooting BB guns.
As an adult, I think I would add reading and drinking to that list.
But you are visiting one of the most beautiful islands in the Caribbean so you’ll probably want to get off property occasionally to explore.
So go clean yourself up and check out these spots (along with rough time estimates from the campgrounds):
- Island Time Marijuana – right in downtown Charlotte Amalie, you can legally buy marijuana (with a valid medical card) at this dispensary. (5 minutes)
- Johnnys VI – you can almost see this little gem from your cabin or tent. It is a local favorite that serves something called a “sweet johnny” which is an island favorite (similar to a beignet). They have a nice backyard behind the historic restaurant to lounge and drink coffee or cocktails all morning or afternoon. And! There’s a cute little rum ball factory there. (5 minutes)
- Magens Bay – our favorite beach in the world. Soft, white sand and calm waters for floating and drifting the day away. (15 minutes)
- Brewers Bay – a local beach with lots of sea turtles and crystal clear water.
- Water Island – a tiny island just off the coast of St. Thomas. A great beach bar is located at the best beach on the island. Easy to get to on a short ferry ride that you pickup from Tickles Restaurant (6 minutes to Tickles)
- Oceana Restaurant – when you spend a few nights glamping you might get the urge for a fancy night out. Right on the water with a fantastic menu. (8 minutes)
- Carnival Night at 13 W – in a cool twist of fate, you can have the ultimate carnival experience at the same place where you had your sweet johnnys and rum balls. When the sun sets at Johnnys, they turn up the music and energy for a night of dancing and partying under the stars. Hear island music, watch performers and drink rum drinks at this wild night of Caribbean culture and fun.
- Go on a boat trip! A private boat trip that won’t break the bank on Mojo. Captain Scotty is the best. (20 minutes to the marina)